Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Scrooge


My Hubby and I just went and saw the new movie "A Christmas Carol" with Jim Carrey. I was absolutely blown away! Part of it was due to the fact that we saw it in 3D (yay for geeky glasses!) and at an IMAX theater. This movie is exceedingly well done. The animation, the characters, the music, everything comes together to form a truly breathtaking experience. It has been a long time since I have seen a movie that made me want to cry.

But the real reason why I was blown away was the story. Dickens' heart-wrenching story is as relevant, as haunting, as soul-searchingly beautiful as it was over 100 years ago. I was so glad that the producers of this movie were true to Dickens' work, true to the heart behind the message. The dialogue between characters is straight from the book, and is full of the biting wit and charm that Dickens is so well known for.

I think the story can resonate with almost anyone. Who doesn't feel a little like Scrooge once in a while? I think that Scrooge is just a bigger version of the selfishness that lives in each and every one of us. So many times, I find myself feeling uncharitable, unthankful (I know that isn't a word!), and grouchy towards the people around me. It was a good reminder to me to treasure the moments that I have, the blessings that I have been given. And with Christmas right around the corner, it could not have come at a better time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails