Monday, January 10, 2011

The Desk- A Long-Overdue Post



Well, I promised pictures of this project a while ago, but just couldn't seem to catch the right light to take pictures in. One of the reasons why winters in MN are SO frustrating.

But, it's about time I shared the finished project in it's entirety, bad pictures or not. So here it is:


I stripped the 3-4 layers of paint off the top of the desk, and brought the original wood back to it's former glory with some wood stain. The rest of the desk got a good sand down and was painted in a nice, soft white gloss paint.


Now, the desk sits behind our loveseat in the living room, and it's the perfect place to catch up on my favorite blog reading and send off emails. For the longest time, we had the computer in the living room, usually on the coffee table. It was getting to be a pain in the rear end! I'm so glad the computer has it's own space now, out of the general living room area.


The shelves on the side are one of my favorite parts! I love being able to display a few things on there, as well as have some storage space. The little owl figurine is vintage, bought at a sale this past Fall.


The 2nd shelf has a vintage egg basket, some pretty dried flowers, and (shocking, I know), another cute owl. This one was a gift from a friend.


I LOVE this basket that I picked up from Tarjay on clearance. It was under $5 and holds miscellaneous paperwork and other things that would otherwise just clutter up the small desk.


The only thing that remains to be done is find a cute handle for the drawer, or just refinish the existing one. I haven't decided what I want to do yet! But, there you have it. The desk, finished. Hallelujah.


10 comments:

  1. Fabulous!!! <3 It looks brand spanking new!

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! I love the wood top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving that little gold owl! I have a thing for them too. My mom bought me this fantastic owl candle holder. When you light the candle, the light shines through it's eyes...it's really cool!

    Great job on the desk! I love that you have it behind the sofa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous makeover! I love all of your accessories too! Thanks for linking up to my party. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christina- Yay! I'm glad I've found another owl lover! I have one of those too, a candle holder owl with glowing eyes. I love it!

    Megan- Thanks for hosting the party! It's so fun to be a part of!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks awesome! Have you tried looking at Anthropologie for a new handle? They have all sorts of neat nobs and handles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ashley- YES. I love Anthropologie! I'm looking for a wider knob and they didn't have them the last time I checked, but I may have to look again!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails