Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Dress Refashion


Remember this old thang? This dress that I purchased from a thrift store had some potential to it, but some of my readers were a little skeptical. Well, I have to admit, so was I.

Thankfully, after a little bit of reworking I'm happy to say that it DID have potential, and it totally lived up to it!

So how did I hack this dress? Well, let me show you:


First off, the puffy-shouldered 80's sleeves had to go. They were just wrong.


Then, I had to take in the dress a tiny bit, so I pulled apart the seams in the lining and took it in about 1/2 in on both sides. It really helps it to fit a lot better! Couldn't reach some of the buttons in the back, but here's a pic of it for you:


I also added a small sash with some fabric I had in my scrap box. It helps break up the white and makes it look a little less wedding-ish. (Yup, I'm totally smelling my armpit in this next one. Feel free to make fun of me in the comments).


So, what do you think? I was planning on wearing this to a ball that I'm attending soon, but I do feel like it's too informal. I found another dress that I'll be wearing for that, and I think this will be my new Easter dress!

16 comments:

  1. skepticism gone. This is gorgeous!
    I won't make fun of you, you look beautiful and I love the dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! I love it! I wish I had your vision for what things could be. What an amazing transformation!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous. I really didn't imagine how fabulous it would look, but YOU WERE RIGHT. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my gosh, that looks amazing! love the grey sash, i can't believe the original dress! fantastic job, armpit sniffer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! I love the sash. You are truly amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay, I'm so glad you all agree! I was afraid I would get some "nope, still hate it" comments but I'm super glad you all like it. Do you think it's ok to wear white for Easter? Cuz I'm totally going to rock this dress I think. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooooh wow. I just posted my first clothes sewing project online. It was a blast.... and now with seeing this dress you have refashioned, I am beyond inspired. Beautiful, beautiful work! I think it's perfect for Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Katie- Thanks so much! I'm so glad you were inspired by it. I want to see your project when it's finished too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! You did a great job! You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it...it fits you perfectly. What a fun thing to do!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG OMG OMG OMG LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    It came out GORGEOUS!!!! <3

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow!! It looks great on you. Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Seriously. HOW do you do stuff like that?! I'm an in awe of your sewing skills. I just love seeing what you can cook up!

    The dress looks fantastic on you! The sash really gives is a nice flair.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ashley- this project was deceptively simple, but a lot of it has to do with just seeing potential! I guess I'm weird like that and like to find strange things and rework them to see if I can make them any better. =) And sometimes, it actually turns out! Hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's amazing!!!! I wish I was as talented as you are!

    ReplyDelete
  16. ok it is official this is my new fav. blog. I love all the refashioning!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails