Monday, January 25, 2010

Posy's Winter Survival Guide






In honor of Winter, which is right now in the process of bestowing upon us Minnesotans yet another layer of icy goodness, Posy has decided to share with you some tips for Winter Survival. I thought we should call it "How to Whine Your Way Through Winter; Tales of Survival from a Wimp."



But, Posy opted for a more positive spin.



(We realize that not all of you lovely Blog-friends are knee-deep in snow, and I am trying not to be bitter about that.)


So without further ado, here are the first 10 tips for winter survival that we would like to share with you.



#1

Make LOTS of smoothies. This one has banana, frozen strawberries and blackberries, orange juice, and vanilla yogurt. Yum.



#2

Eat citrus fruit. Not only is it good for you, but it tastes SO GOOD. I love the little, peel-able "cutie" oranges that are in the supermarkets these days. (Bonus: can you find Posy in this pic?).



#3

When you think you've had enough fruit, eat some more. (You may notice that a lot of these posts are about food, need I remind you that Posy is, ahem, a pig? She may be tiny, but she can really pack it in).



#4

If you don't like your walls, paint them. For a while, I hemmed and hawed about painting the living room, but now that it's done I am amazed at how much better I feel.

The old color was simply depressing. Now, we have a space that we really enjoy being in, and that has helped the winter feel a little less bleak. What better time to fix up your house than when you are stuck in it?



#5


Bring some GREEN indoors.

I stuffed some moss in an apothecary jar and I am amazed at how it brightens up our coffee table. Green is just a happy, Spring-y color.



#6

Invest in some pretty new potted plants. I found these two at Bachmans- Rosemary for cooking (on the right), and I still don't know what the other one is. (If anyone knows, please tell me so I don't end up killing it by over-watering or something! )



#7

Spend time with people you love. Nothing warms you up better than a hug and time spent with friends and family!



#8

Make something out of fabric that reminds you of Spring. (I will be posting what I made out of this soon, I'm super excited!).



#9

Pull out those pretty teacups and use them for consuming hot beverages. This cup from Anthropologie actually makes things taste better, I swear!



#10

And finally, remember there is always someone out there who is worse off than you. (I just had to throw that in there, didn't I? Call me passive-aggressive if you will).

For me, I just think of my dear sweet Aunties in Alaska who are getting around 3 hours of sunlight a day, and that helps me keep perspective. Seriously, how do Alaskans survive winter?


3 comments:

  1. I totally have those glasses and we just drank smoothies from them LAST NIGHT! Wow, crazyness!!! (And, I love your tiered fruit tray, wink wink!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny! Yes, I believe that was a gift from you, madame! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smoothies sound delicious right now!! And I am "one of those" who are currently enjoying 70 degree weather in flip flops and short sleeves. And I'll stop rubbing it in : )

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails