Wednesday, December 21, 2011

When Creativity Abounds


Now that my teaching is over for the semester, I have a glorious 3 weeks to fill with other things! Of course, crafting is always pretty high on my list. One of the first projects I tackled with my free time last week was this tray. I found it at Goodwill a few months ago and originally planned to paint it white. However, it just didn't feel exciting enough. So, instead, I decided to repurpose some vintage sheet music that I had on hand. It had been damaged so that it was not useful anymore for actually playing, but it was perfect for this project!



  

I was able to make a few Christmas presents this year, which is always a fun thing to do. I made a few table runners out of burlap, and this cute flower hat for a special little girl (my friend's daughter). The hat itself was knitted by my friend Beth, but I made the flower out of felt.


My last burst of creativity came the other day, approximately 2.5 minutes before company was coming over... I looked at the huge mess of lovely Christmas cards on our refrigerator and decided that something had to be done. Every time I went to open the door a card would fall off... 


I fashioned this card holder using twine, mini clothespins, and a 3m command adhesive hook. I love how it turned out! It makes use of some "extra" space in our dimly lit hallway, and now I don't have to worry about cards falling down when I open the fridge. I simply tied the other end to one of the brackets on our fridge. It works perfectly!

 

In other news... the forecast is not looking good for snow! We might have a brown Christmas here in Minnesota, which is just utterly unthinkable in my book. I'm halfway tempted to buy all the flocking I can get my hands on and go crazy outside. What's the weather looking like in your part of the country?

(Linking up to What's Up Wednesday at Sew Woodsy!)

8 comments:

  1. I love that tray! I've got a soft spot in my heart for sheet music and new ways to display it. This is going on pinterest for sure!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the sheet music tray, what a great idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jodi- Thanks! I love sheet music too, it's fun to use it for crafting as well. It makes everything so much prettier!

    Anna- Sadly, I can't take all the credit. It seems like everyone is using sheet music/book pages these days for crafting. I'm so happy with how it turned out though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your crafts are so pretty!

    I can't believe we are having a brown christmas. When it finally snows and stays I will be so excited!! I'll even take a day of flurries :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Renee! I know, did you notice the little flurries today? It made me so happy, although I'm sure they won't stay. =(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the tray! So pretty. Enjoy your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness girl! You are so wonderfully talented. I LOVE the tray you made. So unique and, might I say, AWESOME, especially for a music lover.
    The card holder idea rocks!
    And the felt flower totally pops! It's adorable and she's gonna LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kirsti- Thanks! I hope you enjoy your vacation too, and have a wonderful Christmas.

    Courtney- Wow, thanks for all the encouragement! I'm so glad you like everything! I kind of thought you would like the music tray, since you are such a wonderful pianist. =)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails