Thursday, June 3, 2010

out with the old, in with the awesome!


Slowly but surely, we are replacing some of our old, hand-me-down furniture and accessories. And let me tell you, it feels awesome! Don't get me wrong, I love vintage things. But 80's vintage is totally different from 50's vintage.

Case in point- our old coffee table (here you can also see our old couch, lamp, and side table as well!):


Last week, when Josh and I went on our IKEA rampage (hey, I got a bonus at work, don't judge me!), we spotted a coffee table there for only $19.99.

It was love at first sight.


I love the clean white lines with the woven table runner! At first I thought it would be too small, but in reality I think the other coffee table we had was too big!



So here's my question for you:

What is your favorite IKEA purchase that you have made? Or, if you hate IKEA (do IKEA haters even exist?), tell me about another piece of "bargain" furniture that you love!

And, if anyone is looking for an AWESOME 80's glass-topped coffee table, I can totally hook you up. I might even give it to you for free. OK, I will pay you to take it away.

8 comments:

  1. ok, yes, ikea haters exist. i am always impressed and surprised when ppl's decor looks so great and is from ikea. the boyfriend, however, won't let any of our major purchases come from there. he's concerned with quality, blah blah. sometimes, i'm just concerned with price! i have little things from ikea, and one hand me down tv stand which is still working out fine. you would think that would change his mind! your new coffee table looks great with the runner, wise choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! I love what you've done so far! I can totally relate. Love vintage...do not love 80's! Bad decade when it comes to style...at least in my opinion. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the new table! It looks great in there. I love the mix of old and new! We haven't purchased any furniture from Ikea (yet) but I love their organizational stuff and totally adore their prices. I was looking through their catalog last night and scheming up some new plans for the office, actually. Hopefully coming soon....

    ReplyDelete
  4. How funny. I have the same plant, in the same pot, on my coffee table. :) Gotta love Ikea's plants and pots - always a great deal.

    I am loving your sofa! where is it from?

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS: I have been slightly disgruntled with Ikea ever since my Hopen bed headboard snapped in two when it fell against the side of my moving truck. :(

    But my favorite Ikea purchase is definitely my outdoor patio furniture. It was a total steal!
    http://theborrowedabode.com/2010/03/furniture-alfresco/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jane- that is too funny! I do LOVE the plant section there- they are very affordable, especially since I tend to kill one off every few months or so!

    That is SO sad about the headboard. What a bummer! I love the patio furniture though- it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Miss Corner Cape- OK, You are totally right! I have met people (my dad, for instance) who doubt the quality of the furniture. But I'm not really looking for stuff that will last for decades, either!

    Nadine- Yeah, 80's vintage still hits a little too close to home for me! Hehe.

    Cindy- Thanks so much! I really love IKEA's office furniture, I'm sure you will find something that will work great for you. I'm excited to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love IKEA. I hate that IKEA is four hours away. I don't have a lot of stuff from IKEA just because I don't get to shop there often. My favorite purchase is definitely our entertainment center, aka TV holder. It has all the charm of a vintage piece of furniture with out the hassle of restoration or searching. It even has patina door knobs. LOVE!

    Not to mention the prices are just fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails