Thursday, December 23, 2010

Something Better



(Last night- eating Pho soup with my Hubs and celebrating a new career direction!)

Yesterday was my last.day.ever. working for the Federal Government. As I gathered up my meager belongings, turned in my badges, and giggled at the email I got (exactly 3 hours before leaving) that said my background investigation was finally finished, I felt no regret.

3 years of staying in a job that I (to put it lightly) really didn't enjoy has made for an interesting transition. I had prayed in vain for soooo long, it kind of felt surreal to finally be walking out the door. I said my goodbyes, grabbed my bags and began the walk out to my car, accompanied by my dear friend and co-worker Andrea.

Then, suddenly and completely without warning, the tears started coming. If not for this dear friend of mine, I could have skipped out the door without a second glance. But suddenly the memories of all that we had gone through together came flooding back, along with the knowledge of how significant her friendship has been over the past few years. We have seen each other almost every day, spent countless lunch hours roaming the skyways of Minneapolis, sharing details of our lives and helping each other through challenging times.

(A and I at my wedding, circa 2009)

How can you just walk away and not acknowledge that kind of friendship? So, even though I was wearing mascara and had sworn to myself I would not cry, I let the tears come. Even though I won't miss working at that job, I will miss seeing my friend every day. I know that our friendship will stay strong, but there's no denying the fact that it's a huge change. Especially since she also has a little one on the way (literally any day now!), and the next time I see her she will be a Mom.

Life is full of changes. Some are good, some are bad, and some are just bittersweet. I thought back to my college days and remembered the C.S. Lewis quote that my graduating class chose for our motto, "There are better things ahead than any we've left behind."

There are better things ahead than any we've left behind.

It's true for my friendship with Andrea, the career path I've chosen, the very knowledge of "growing up" and changing from a child into an adult. Change is always difficult, especially when you can't see what is ahead. But it's a thread that is continually woven through our lives and the lives of those around us.

So as you celebrate the Christmas season, maybe you are experiencing changes too. Perhaps there are some people who are absent from your lives, perhaps you are juggling a new marriage and how to split up your celebrations so that everyone around you is happy, perhaps you have welcomed a new child into your life or watched as your adult child is making a life of their own.

I hope you will remember with me this season the goodness that God has laced through our lives, and rest secure in the knowledge that He is still working and no matter what we leave behind, there is always something better that lies ahead.

5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful tribute to andrea! And Mikalah, I am happy for you and so enjoy reading each of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful words dear =) I remember tearing up at my last day of work at a job i was so glad to leave.. but sure enough... the memories of the good times and the friends i had made overwhelmed me into a blubbering girl when i was certain i was supposed to run out screaming and jumping for joy. go figure. life is funny like that =)

    happy christmas eve eve doll and so excited for what the new year may have in store for ya! =)

    love ya blogging buddy!

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a wonderful post! I hope this change is everything that you've prayed for!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy you get to try something new...and hopefully more enjoyable! So exciting! Sorry I haven't been around much, I do still drop by from time to time. Much love and have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the new start, just make sure to find time to see your friend. :)
    That's hilarious about your clearance...I didn't realize you were in that kind of field too.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails