Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Week of Projects


I've started quite a few projects in the past few weeks, and I'm planning on using this week to finish them all up! After a fun and busy Summer, it's time to focus on getting the house in order for Fall, especially since I will be teaching piano again from our home. So, most of the projects are geared towards the music room!

First off, Josh and I found this wonderful specimen at a garage sale last weekend. Isn's she a beaut?

Actually, using my supreme detective skills (a la Hercule Poirot), I have deduced that this was once used in a clubhouse of some sort. Why? Because someone scratched in the surface "Boys Rule" and "No Girls Allowed." Awesome. 
Well, I couldn't really have that kind of propaganda in the house, considering that I am in fact a girl, so I sanded it down and gave it a coat of primer, 2 coats of a lovely off-white shade, and a protective polyurethane coat.


This bookshelf fits the room perfectly! Originally, I was going to buy something from IKEA for this space, but really, this bookshelf was only $5 (plus $50 for materials I will be reusing on other pieces). And, it's solid wood!


The bottom shelf fits the boxes I store sheet music in perfectly. It's so nice to finally have a little storage in that space! 


Are you curious about what other projects I am working on this week? Well, here's my list (so far): 
  • Paint bookshelf #1 (done!)
  • Paint bookshelf #2 
  • Finish curtains (yes, I started this project 2 whole months ago...)
  • Organize and clean music room
  • Prettify music room using things I already have
  • Finish wooden tray (I found an awesome wooden tray at Goodwill that needs a makeover!)
So, here's hoping that I can check a few more projects off this list before this week is out!


6 comments:

  1. Boys so DO NOT rule! You did a great job on that bookshelf. Looks brand new.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great find!! It's looks so clean and bright now. So perfect. It never ceases to amaze me what a little paint can do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bookshelf looks great, and it's going to last so much better than anything from Ikea - since it's solid wood! Can't wait to see what else you get done this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so lovely to have pretty storage places! Nice work on the paint job and protective coating. You're very thorough my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holly- EXACTLY. Thank you. =D

    Cindy- I know! I really love seeing paint makeovers, I never get sick of them.

    Jane- Yup, I was thinking the same thing. I love IKEA's designs, but everything is particleboard. This will last much longer + be sturdier too!

    Courtney- thanks! Yes, I have learned the hard way too many times by not doing a good job on paint. It will chip and wear so quickly, especially on surfaces that get lots of use! Hopefully this will last a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can do it! Making a list and starting your projects is half the battle! Go girl!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails