Friday, October 14, 2011

Friends in the Fashion Biz


(Photo Credit)

This past Spring, I had the privilege of helping out a friend of mine who is an up and coming fashion designer here in the Twin Cities. Beth Kendrick started out by taking classes on fabric dyeing from a local textile school, and gradually became more interested in fashion design. I modeled two of her beautiful creations that she wanted to enter in the Surface Design Association fashion show. Her piece Lucette (pictured above and below) got in, and ended up winning first place! You can click on that link to see more pictures from the show (I didn't model the dress in the show).  




The two-piece ensemble, entitled "Lucette", is made from several different types of fibers. Here's the description in Beth's own words:

"Lucette," Paul Bunyan’s girlfriend, stands as a fiberglass statue on the shores of Birch Lake in Hackensack, Minnesota.  She’s now a strong, glamorous woman of the modern frontier.
Hand-dyed silk satin skirt with rhinestone embellished train; cotton and silk chiffon corset hand-dyed, discharged, and painted with hand and machine sewn embellishment.




Tonight, I get to wear this dress again for a fashion show at the Minneapolis Textile Center. "Hot Art Cool Jazz" is a yearly benefit to raise money for the Joan Mondale Gallery. Beth will be showing two pieces, Lucette and Lucille (a new creation!) in the runway show. I'm so excited to be a part of this and support this kind of design! Hopefully my runway debut will go smoothly, I'll let you know how it goes! Meanwhile, feel free to check out Beth's facebook page for her studio Nineten Textiles to see some more photos of her amazing work.
 
 Photos by Kristina Jager

7 comments:

  1. What a fun opportunity! That dress is incredible. Good luck on the runway. You'll do a great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cindy! I will probably need it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow wow wow! You look smashing and I love that bodice. How exciting - have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jane! I know, isn't the bodice amazing? I love the detail she put into it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun thing to do! Sounds really exciting and I can only imagine that you will have a blast modeling!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting for both of you! Have a great time and strut your stuff! You will look amazing in that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a unique experience! I hope you have a fantastic time!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails