Thursday, December 8, 2011

Trimming the Tree



Ever since I was a little girl, I dreamed of having a gloriously huge Christmas tree. I was always slightly disappointed when we would bring home a tree that barely cleared my dad's head.

This year, Josh and I thought it would be "fun," since we have such high ceilings and the tree farm we visited had a flat-rate price for all of their trees, to pick one that was a little more awe-inspiring in height.

So, giving way to our exuberant childhood fantasies, we picked out a tree that we thought was about 8-9 feet tall. Perfect! Then... we got home. 

(Don't worry- no one was hurt during the decorating of this monstrosity)

So, our Christmas tree is about 11 feet tall. And it gives me great joy and induces fits of happy giggles nearly every time I walk into the living room!

As you can imagine, it takes quite a few decorations to fill up an 11 foot tall tree! Plus, we had to put it behind the couch, where it is pretty much visible from every angle, which meant that we had to decorate the entire tree. We definitely didn't have enough ornaments stocked up, so after purchasing 2 more sets of lights (we already had one), I decided to make some new ones. I thought it would be fun to add some tissue paper pom-poms! I found a tutorial online, and made 3 of these cuties.


I searched the house for things that could work as ornaments, and fit into our silver/cream/white/blue theme. This tiny picture frame was the perfect match! I just hot glued some ribbon on the back, and voila, a new ornament.


I made 6 of these cute, round paper ornaments using leftover Amy Butler paper from our wedding programs. I just embellished them a bit using some glue and glitter. 


Of course, no tree is complete without an ornament that looks like a 5 year old on a sugar high created it. 


Some new ornaments that I bought last year on sale after Christmas are making their first debut as well! I bought 2 of the beauties from Macy's, for about 20% of their original price. Nice!


These ornaments (gifts from my Mother-In-Law) are by far my favorite though. There are 2 of them, little tiny antiqued mirrors. Aren't they sweet?


I also love this blown-glass ornament, Josh's aunt Jackie bought it years ago, or so I am told! 


I am really loving our tree this year. It's so fun to gaze at it and think back on all of the memories that I have from Christmases past. One thing's for sure- I can check off "buy a giant Christmas tree" from my bucket list! 



P.S. You may notice some changes are a-happening around here... I put up a new banner that I've been working on for a while, and some more subtle changes will occur shortly. Hope you like them! Also- be sure to check back tomorrow for the full tour of our decorated home! I'll be linking to some fun holiday parties. Can't wait to see you then!

4 comments:

  1. I love the size of your tree!! How fantastic!

    I also love that you guys used a chair rather than a ladder. Totally something we would do.

    I like to fill in the tree with birds, pinecones and berry sprigs. I also use fake, white poinsettia blossoms. It helps in the areas where a hanging ornament just doesn't look right.

    P.S. Love the new banner :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 11 feet tall! That's awesome! Your hubby was so helpful, he gets cool points!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! I have so much to say I hardly know where to start!
    1. Awesome tree. I LOVE that it's so wonderfully HUGEmongous!
    2. The ornaments are soooo super cute and even better because you made them!
    3. There's more but I'm gonna go leave the rest of my comments on your most recent post!

    Love you Mikalah...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristi- Yes, he gets MAJOR points for risking his life to set up our ginormous tree.

    Courtney- I love lists! Thanks so much. I'm glad you like the homemade ornaments! They are slowly growing on me too.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails