Tuesday, March 2, 2010

monogram pillow

Ever since our wedding, I've been trying to find little ways to incorporate some of the details from that day into our home decor. It's just a fun reminder of our wedding, and of the promises we made to each other that day!

One of my favorite elements of the day was our monogram. I found the letters online and grouped them together, and we used the monogram on our invitations, programs, and several other things. I thought it would be fun to try "stenciling" the monogram on a pillow for a decorative element.

First off- I printed it out on computer paper as large as I could:




Next, I rigged up a pretty awesome device using our glass-top coffee table, a small light and some tape (sorry for the crappy picture, it was just too dark):




I used 2 sharpies, one fine-tip for the outline and a bigger one to fill it all in. After my meticulous outlining, I realized that the bigger sharpie bleeds quite a bit, so I had to just color it in ever-so-lightly.



Here's the closeup of the section where it bled a little. I was tempted to start over, but then I realized it wasn't that bad, and it actually adds a little to the overall effect!



So there you have it.

A DIY project that uses sharpies, involves minimal sewing, and takes less than an hour. Can it get any better than that?




7 comments:

  1. Oh.my.word. That's fantastic! I absolutely love it and can't believe you finished it all in an hour. I would still be tracing letters. No joke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love that idea!! You'll have to show me how to do that someday...along with showing me how to sew on a button. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. brilliant! and i still adore the title of your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE it! What a great idea! The monogram is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so cute! I've always wanted to come up with a monogram for my husband and I, I just haven't taken the time. Oh yeah, and Sharpies rock my world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! i totally want to make one...what a fun idea! and i like the bleeding, i agree, it gives it charm and a vitage look, or something. ;)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails