Wednesday, January 5, 2011

A Breadmaking Adventure

Well, I made bread for the first time ever the other day, and I must say it was quite an experience. At times it was fun and exciting, and I felt like a pioneer woman with my hands in the dough and flour covering nearly every square inch of me. At other times, it was more frustrating and seriously, it's hard work kneading dough for 10 minutes at a time!

I used the french bread recipe from the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook (love that cookbook!). It called for 6 cups of flour, but I only managed to knead in about 4 3/4 cups. My mom told me later that the recipe is just an approximated amount, and usually you use much less flour. Wish I had known that before!

That's probably why the bread turned out really dense and kind of wrinkly on top. Oooh, now doesn't that look appetizing? =)


But surprisingly, it came out of the oven smelling like bread, and it also actually tasted like bread.


So, although my first experience with making bread was not perfect by any means, it was a small step towards something that could become one of my favorite baking pastimes.

And next time, I'm using less flour.

6 comments:

  1. It looks scrumptious! Bread is my favorite food group :) I'm actually cutting back on carbs...but aren't carbs so good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't made bread in so long! I've been really cutting back on the carbs to lose weight and it's really been working, but I found some sort of almost carb less flour online that I really want to buy and try - maybe I can have my bread and eat it too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristi- me too. I am a breadaholic. I have been trying really hard to cut back on it because it is so full of carbs!

    Anna- Interesting! I've heard about that flour too, it would be interesting to try making something with it and see how it tastes! You'll have to let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks sooooooo goooood! =) I can't (and won't!) bake but if you lived next door and made this.... i'd be at the door by the time the timer went off =) haha

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh - warty bread!
    Just kidding :)

    It looks really tasty, especially with that melty butter. My almost-MIL gave me a bread machine for Christmas, so I need to try it out STAT. Apparently I don't have to do the mixing, or the kneading (both of which I hate) so it should make baking more fun for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenn- if you lived next door I would totally bring it over to you! =)

    Jane- Haha! yes, yummy warty bread! We do have a bread machine too which I LOVE. It's way easier, but of course I just had to try making it from scratch just to see what it looked like.

    Also- with a bread machine the bread is much less warty! =)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails