Thursday, April 5, 2012

The Best Cookies


 I'm not normally a huge fan of sweets. I do eat them and enjoy them on occasion, but most of the time I would prefer a pickle over something sweet. However... the one sweet thing I can always tolerate is a good molasses/ginger/spice cookie!

This recipe was given to me by my Aunt a few years back, and I make them frequently. The only complaint I have about this recipe is that it just doesn't make enough! They are always gone within a day or two, even when I double the recipe.

It makes the perfect, delicate, chewy ginger cookie. Trust me on this, you have to try it to believe it!


Molasses Spice Crackles

Makes: about 2 dozen small cookies, recipe can be easily doubled to make more. 

1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup margarine or butter, softened
2 tbsp molasses
1 large egg white
1/4 cup sugar (to roll cookies in)

1. Combine first 6 ingredients. Stir well, set aside. Place brown sugar, margarine, molasses, and egg white in mixer and mix well. Add dry ingredients and process until well blended. Refrigerate approximately two hours (longer is fine, but don't skimp on the time!).

2. Set oven to 375 degrees.

3. Shape dough into small (no more than 1 inch round) balls. Roll the top in sugar, and place on a baking sheet 3 inches apart. Bake for approximately 7 minutes. (Tip: These cookies taste better slightly underdone and will keep their chewy texture better!).



6 comments:

  1. These look wonderful! Can I eat them for breakfast? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM.Those probably wouldn't make it through the afternoon with me around. I wish I didn't like sweets as much as I do but they're just too delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love molasses cookies. I'm biased because I think my grandma's recipe is the best. :) I'm tempted to give these a try though and see how they compare!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love molasses cookies, yummy! I will try this recipe the next time I make them, like maybe later today? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sooooo yummy! I love molasses/ginger cookies! These look and sound AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails