The flooring in our kitchen was definitely leaving something to be desired- yellowed and faded linoleum from the 1980's, that made a weird crunchy sound whenever you walked on it (I always used to think there were dead bugs under there, turns out the adhesive they used had just been pulverized over the years).
Here's a couple "Before" pics to jog your memory:
And here it is, all tiled and prettied up!
This corner used to be slightly rounded, but we figured with the new tile and the wood it would be easier to square it off. Turns out, I like it this way even more! It actually makes our kitchen feel a little bigger too. Score!
Just for funsies, here's a picture of what our kitchen looked like a few months ago (taken in January):
It's fun to go back now and look at those pictures. I definitely don't miss the 80's wood cupboards or the impossible-to-keep-clean white countertops. I'm loving the way this space has opened up and brightened up!
Here's what we've done so far:
- Painted the cabinets and added hardware
- Painted light fixture above sink and replaced shade
- Re-laminated the countertops
- Tiled the floor (yay!)
- Add subway tile backsplash (can't wait to do this!)
- Replace overhead lighting (you can't see it in any of the pictures, but it's one of those ugly brass lights)
- Tweak the decor to my heart's content (but let's face it, when is it ever completely finished?)